This DIY post will get you going in no time with Alerts, Check-outs, and Views – including the best way to get started with each.
Feature #1: SharePoint Alerts
Are you interested in a specific item and when it is updated? No need for an entire Workflow, set an Alert!
- In the ribbon, under the List tab, click on Alert Me
- Then Select Set alert on this list
- Select OK – and you’re finished!
Feature #2: Document Check In and Check Out
Have you ever want to prevent from others from editing a document you are working on?
Checking out a document allows you to share the document with others while you are still actively working on it.
- Select the Checkbox next to the document you would like to Checkout
- In the ribbon, under the Files tab, Select Check Out
- You will now notice the Check Out symbol appears over the Word Icon
- Make the desired changes to the checked out document
- Check in the document when you are finished by selecting the checkbox next to the document, then, selecting Check In from under the Files Ribbon
- Enter any Comments you have about the changes made
- Select OK, and you’re all set!
Feature #3: SharePoint Views
Maybe you have too many columns in your current view. Maybe you want to look at only a specific set, and another department wants to look at a specific set of columns. Maybe you just want to see what has a pending status in chronological order
- Select create view from the ribbon
- Name your view and select the audience
**Note** Only Administrators have the option of creating public views. If an end-user creates a view that may be useful for everyone an administrator will have to recreate it publicly.
- Select which columns you would like displayed, and in what order
- Select your Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
And there you have it. SharePoint has many built-in features to help the end-user manage his/her documents more efficiently. Alerts, Checkouts, and Views are just a few of the out of the box features SharePoint offers. Want to discover more helpful tips, tricks, and DIYs? Reach out on our contact page for more.